Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sword Art Online Season 1 review

My very first review for the site will be on a 2012 Summer favorite, Sword Art Online! For those who have not heard of SAO before or have heard of it, but have not seen it SAO is an anime based off of a light novel by the same name written by Reki Kawahara, and was adapted into an anime between July-December of 2012.
*SPOILER*Summary:The series was set in the near future where various virtual reality MMORPG's are very popular throughout the world. The main character Kirito along with 500 other people log in to the new MMORPG Sword Art Online (SAO) through the popular virtual reality helmet called Nerve Gear that uses a persons 5 senses via their brain, so players may control their characters inside of the game. All of the players that have logged into SAO for the first time soon realize that no one is able to log out of the game, and the games creator Kayaba Akihiko makes the announcement that if they would like to exit the game they all must reach the 100th floor of the games tower and beat the final boss, but he informs players of the games twist taht if they cannot reach the 100th floor and defeat the final boss, or their avatar is killed within the game they will suffer the same fate in reality. Kirito befriends the female character Asuna shortly after and together with the other imprisoned players of SAO they work toether to reach the final boss and obtain their freedom.
Review: I would like to start off by saying that this was a great series that both many of my friends and myself enjoyed, but it had its moments where i wasn't to sure if I would continue to watch. The first episode was in my opinion a great start to this anime I immediately fell in love with the animation quality and characters appearance I thought that both had been developed amazingly, and I was much approved of the Japanese voice cast for each of the characters I felt that they each captured the true essence of each individual character, but I did have some trouble after that first episode. Although, the first episode really brought me in to the world of SAO the early beginnings of the series had me along with others confused so far as the story line goes. I had not previously heard that the anime would progress through short time skips and so when I watched episode after episode I had the feeling that I was missing something within the story line, or that maybe I made a mistake and watched the wrong episode because the characters had changed after those time skips (some in appearance and some in their personality). Once I got over the whole time skip format I was able to follow along really well with the story line and everything made much more sense than it did from the beginning, and I enjoyed the pace at which the story line had progressed as we the viewers dived deeper and deeper into this great anime and its mystery as to why the players of SAO have been deemed this cruel fate of life and death within a game. This series overall is a great series which many have enjoyed and that I would highly recommend to any mystery/game.action anime lover to watch and share with others it is one anime that is somewhat unique in its format and style, but is enjoyed by a great many anime fans.
My Rating: 4 out of 5
***Please comment on this review and let me know what you thought. Also leave suggestions for another anime you would like reviewed.***























































*Information provided by: Sword Art Online- Wikipedia the free encyclopedia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts